Friday, January 31, 2014

Coconut Oil....taking it out of the kitchen in into your beauty regime.



If you are into natural products, I'm sure you've heard all the hoopla regarding coconut oil as of late.  If not, than you are most certainly missing out!  Let me fill you in.....

After removing all of my potentially toxic beauty products, I was in dire need of an all natural moisturizer that I could use post-shower.  Now, if you browse the beauty aisle at any natural food store, you will see plenty of all natural body creams and moisturizers.  All of which are chemical-free, healthy, and pricey.(you get what you pay for!)--My problem is this:  I have a vitamin E allergy.  Unfortunately, most all natural body products are loaded with it because of it's amazing antioxidant properties (it helps the shelf life and keeps them from going rancid).  So.......I needed to find an alternative.

After doing some research online, I found organic coconut oil and figured I'd give it a try.  That was a few months ago. Lately, with the harsh, cold Maine winter we've been having, coconut oil has been a miracle for my dry hands and hair.

So far, I have successfully used the oil for:


  • Removing my makeup (careful not to get it into your eye while removing mascara, it does make things blurry, although it didn't sting).
  • Deep conditioner for my hair.  I focus on the dry ends.  Apply and leave it for an hour (or overnight), then shampoo it out well.
  • Daily after shower as an all over moisturizer.  Note, the extra virgin has a strong coconut smell, which some find harsh.  I am one of them.  I prefer the regular coconut which is less fragrant and can be purchased here.  I do use the extra virgin for my hair/makeup etc. that I am not wearing all day.
  • As a facial moisturizer before bed.  I apply it over my vitamin C treatment, then let it absorb as I sleep.  I wake up with the softest skin ever!

Some people have posted that it helps clear acne.  Can't really say I've been blemish free for months.  Also, some say it makes a great alternative to shaving cream.  My only concern is that you regularly clean your drains with a vinegar/baking soda solution, because coconut oil does return to a solid at room temperature and WILL clog your drains if it's not cleaned correctly.  FYI

Have you used coconut oil?  How has it worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment