Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Eating healthy while eating out...

One of the biggest challenges I've had to face while on a strictly healthy (vegetarian) diet is the dreaded "eating out".  I absolutely love trying new restaurants (especially if they serve local, craft beer!)--but eating at a restaurant is usually a pretty stressful event.  I cringe at having to "special order" my meal with a less than enthusiastic waitress or having to play I-Spy with the menu for the one healthy item on it.

Lately, the name of the game for me is "being prepared".  If I know I'm going out, I grab my little squishy portable salad dressing holder , which looks like this one, ( I scored mine at TJ Maxx on clearance!), and fill it with my favorite, healthy dressing, grab a handful of sliced almonds in a ziploc, and keep them both in my purse.   Then, I will go for the best salad they offer.  It's normally NEVER the regular salad (believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, cukes and iceberg lettuce--BORING!).  I love salads that offer nuts, olives, apple, anything that deviates from a normal, plain-Jane salad!  Then, I will ask them to add a veggie burger on top of it (if they offer one, which most places do).  I order some extra salsa and guac. or avocado and viola!  an instant, tasty meal.  I love adding my own dressing to this, but for most, the salsa/avocado may be all you need.  Most of the dressings that restaurants offer are laden with sugar, HFCS, terrible oil, etc...so avoid them and go for the salsa, or even ask for plain oil and vinegar.  A quick note:  Be sure to tell your server that you do not wish to have your veggie burger grilled with butter.  Also, some home made veggie burgers are surprisingly made with butter!  Please ask if you have any doubts about dairy/fat content.






No comments:

Post a Comment