Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Latest Cholesterol Numbers are in.....ugh!

2 weeks ago, I had to go back to my doctor after suffering from some horrible side effects of the statin drug I have been taking for the past couple of years.  (skin numbness, headaches, memory loss....yeah, memory loss/fogginess!  I feel like I'm 90 some days!)

My last test was a year ago, and for the 1st time, my numbers came back under 200 mg/dl!  They were total 188 mg/dl...which, in my world, is amazing!!

So, I figured, that I could possible begin to add some of the unhealthier foods into my diet (just a little), like cheese, dessert, you know, the fun stuff... Well, a year and 10 pounds later, I'm at 264 mg/dl. (while still on meds)......... boooo!!!

So, I convinced my nurse practitioner to let me stop my statins for 6 weeks to help my nerve issues and memory "fogginess".  She reluctantly agreed, and I am now back to my strict vegetarian/vegan diet.  I'm hopefully optimistic that my numbers won't skyrocket, but the "realist" in me knows that the hammer will probably drop, and hard, at the end of my 6 week statin "vacation".  I feel so much better without the drugs, and feel amazing eating a cleaner diet.  We'll have to see what the numbers bring in 6 weeks.

For those interested:  My cardio exercise consists of 3-4 days of "Zumba" dance, and during the winter I snowboard pretty much every weekend. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment