Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bug Off!! Home made insect repellant.

Spring has sprung, and while we come out of our home hibernation from the winter, so have the bugs!

If you are like me, and really do not like to use chemically laden products on your body, then these months are tough.   I have a pretty good essential oil spray recipe for mosquito control that I will share today.  

Mosquitoes are the biggest nuisance of the warmer months.  I still do not understand why God created these pesky little creatures!  There are a few things we can do to make ourselves a little "less appetizing" to them.  First, switch to an unscented detergent and fabric softener during the summer months.  Any floral/sweet smelling fragrance just attracts them more.  This also goes for your perfumes, shampoo, etc. etc. the more unscented products you use, the better.

I make a home made bug spray for mosquitoes using witch hazel and apple cider vinegar.  I do not mind smelling a little like salad dressing.  Compared to the smell of OFF! and the other DEET sprays, it really isn't much worse!  Here is the recipe I tend to use (granted, I mix up the combination of EO's depending on what I have on hand at the moment....)   


 Into a spray bottle, mix together:
  • 1/2 cup witch hazel, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 30-50 drops of essential oils. Choose any combination of citronella, clove, lemongrass, rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus, cedar, catnip, lavender, or mint.
  • Shake ingredients together and spray over uncovered portions of your body.  Reapply as needed.
Enjoy these warmer months ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment