Friday, March 7, 2014

Cholesterol results & Apple Pectin Powder........

For anyone that is following my journey to lower cholesterol:

I made it through the six weeks of vegan/vegetarian eating and had my numbers checked last week.  And, after eating every type of birdseed under the sun (along with supplements of apple pectin powder, which has been raved about all over the internet for it's cholesterol lowering ability), apple cider vinegar, and many other supplements....the results are:  My cholesterol went UP. :-(

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the results, although not at all surprised.  On the flip side, I lost a good 8 pounds or so, and feel really great.  But, unfortunately, my blood doesn't really care what I do.......  

Here is the comparison to where I was:

Jan. 13 Total:  264, Tri 72, HDL 74, LDL 176 (on meds)
Feb. 24 Total:  267, Tri 75, HDL 64, LDL 188 (no meds)

So, as you can see, I really got nowhere eating healthy, exercising regularly, and supplementing with the pectin powder.  Obviously, my numbers put the doctor into a panic and she instantly told me to begin my Lipitor once again.  The fact that my LDL went up didn't please her at all and she was/is considering upping my dosage.  I declined and told her I would take the minimum dose until May and see where my numbers are.

It's really deflating to think that the only way to manage my lipids is through medication, but I'm really getting discouraged!!

I would love to hear from others who have this type of condition (genetically high lipids, not dietary type) and how they manage.  As for the apple pectin powder:  I am proof that is DOES NOT help people like me (genetically high lipids), but cannot speak for those with dietary type.  I will be tossing the rest of the supplement away, the pills were HUGE and hard to swallow anyways ;-)

On a good note:  I got to spend a wonderful day with my mom yesterday for her 64th birthday!  We went to a foot spa/tea house and had a wonderful foot & leg massage with some great organic tea!  It was a much needed boost for the soul!  Spring is right around the corner!  Cannot wait to see the daffodils peeking up in my (still) snow covered beds!!

Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment